Petitgrain essential oil, Bigarade, Italy Floral, citrus aroma, with woody undertone. Refreshing, clearing, soothing, revitalizing. Good in blends. Used in skin care particularly with acne and oily skin. Use to create euphoric and relaxing blend for soothing anxiety and depression.
Derived from leaves of the orange tree rather than the blossoms or fruit, it is beneficial for skin and hair. It is also supportive of the nervous system, having the ability to help re-establish emotional equilibrium.
The name Petitgrain means “little grain” because the oil was once extracted from the small, green, unripe oranges. This was not cost effective, so the oil is now extracted from the fresh leaves and small twigs of the tree. The extraction method is by steam distillation and yields 0.5-1.0% oil. Petitgrain essential oil is one of classic ingredients of eu-de-cologne and is used extensively in perfumes and cosmetics.
Petitgrain oil has been used therapeutically for many ailments and conditions. It has been used both internally and externally as a:
* Sedative- As a sedative, petitgrain oil is good for any nervous crisis, stress, panic and anxiety. It can help heart palpitations, insomnia and hypertension.
* Nervine- Petitgrain oil is well known as a nerve tonic. It soothes and relaxes both the mind and the body. It protects the body from the effects of anger, fear and shock. It has a calming affect on epileptic and convulsion attacks, as well as hysteria. It also helps to strengthen nerves.
* Antidepressant- Due to its relaxing effect, petitgrain oil is good for depression, anxiety and stress. It helps lift the mood and induces positive thinking.
* Antispasmodic- Petitgrain oil helps relieve muscle spasms and stomach cramps. It also helps with excessive coughing and congestion. It is widely used in massage oils.
* Antiseptic- Petitgrain oil inhibits the growth of bacteria and protects the body from infection.
* Deodorant- The fragrance of the oil erases any lingering trace of body odor. The chemical components of the oil protect the body from bacterial grown in places where sweat is a problem. It also works against acne.
Safety: Petitgrain oil is non-toxic, non-sensitizing, non-irritant, and non-phototoxic. As with any oil, always test a small amount for an allergic reaction. If pregnant or nursing, consult with physician before using. It is listed by the FDA as GRAS (generally recognized as safe).
If you are looking for an essential oil that will calm your nerves, lift your spirit and relax your body, look no further than Petitgrain oil. You will be pleased with the many ways you can use it.